An Address and Language Counselor (SALT) is qualified to utilize children, youthful people and adults who’ve some type of communication disorder. It’s frequently believed that an address and Language Counselor could only assist with actual speech production problems, however the plethora of services is a lot wider.
Exactly what does an address and Language Counselor do?
A counselor dealing with children and youthful individuals will initially assess both comprehension (knowledge of language) and significant language (how language can be used).
The Counselor will appear at various places that difficulties might occur including:
* Vocabulary – kinds of words for example nouns (naming words), verbs (actions) and prepositions (in, on, under etc.)
* Understanding language structures for example following instructions – eg. “brush dolly’s hair”, “produce the yellow pencil”
Spoken language might be assessed for an additional:
* Speech sounds – frequently termed phonology. The kid or youthful person might not have certain speech sounds within their vocabulary, or could use them inappropriately eg. “dog” becomes “dod” (termed fronting) or “glove” becomes “glub” (termed stopping)
* Articulation difficulties – producing speech sounds might be difficult, possibly as a result of physical problem for example cleft lip/palate or poor dentition or perhaps a co-orindation problem – Dyspraxia
* Fluency – can there be any proof of dysfluency (stammering) or general hesitancy in speech
What you can do when the child/youthful person has little if any speech?
Language isn’t just the spoken word but could include communicating by various various ways. A few of the more prevalent ways are:
* Symbol systems – an easy line drawing can be used to represent an item or concept eg. Makaton, Rebus, Mayer Manley
* Pictures/photo systems – actual pictures or photos are utilized to indicate objects, activities etc.
* Signing systems – include British Sign Language (BSL) and Makaton. Scalping strategies use manual signs to share meaning
* Eye pointing – using a special board with symbols or pictures, it’s possible for any parent or carer to interpret exactly what the child/youthful person really wants to communicate by using their eye gaze until it stops in the item they need. This is often helpful for kids or youthful those who have physical difficulties with no speech.